Servings: 8 Prep: 10 mins Cook: 30 mins Total: 45 mins
I believe I’ve achieved something wonderful here, in that it’s remarkably quick to throw together and the end result is fantastic. It’s tasty, filling and … even has green things in it!
The basic idea on this one is to toss together a bunch of raw ingredients, cover the bottom of a casserole pan, top with biscuit dough and bake. I wasn’t really sure what would happen, but … I did it and the end result was nothing short of phenomenal! Everything cooked properly. Some of the water came out of the chicken and broccoli, which mixed with the melted cheese creating something like a cheesy sauce, which clung to the chicken and biscuits as I broke them apart and ate it. It’s not the most beautiful dish when it’s done, but what it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for in ease and just good old fashioned tastiness!
If there is any downfall to it, it’s the potentially wacky ingredients in the biscuit dough, but … I personally tend to use these ingredients on a regular basis. These are the kinds of things you’d find in just about any long term low-carber’s kitchen. The only truly wonky ingredient is the tapioca flour, but … it goes GREAT lengths towards holding these biscuits together … and I’m slowly but surely learning that it’s just a great ingredient to have lying around. A little bit goes a long way. I’ve got a bag kicking around my freezer. It’s been there for about a year, but … it’s close to time to re-up. This suggests it gets used, but … also lasts a really long time!
Without further adieu … here’s the recipe!
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli CobblerPrint Rate
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh whole butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken (I used breast but thigh will work, as well - skin is optional), cut into cubes
- 1 bunch broccoli including stalks, cut into florets
- 1 lb cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the chilled butter cubes, until the cubes are about the size of peas. Add the egg and stir in the almond milk until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Dough should be somewhat wet, but dry enough to form shapes.
- Dust countertop or a piece of parchment paper with almond flour. Place the dough on the almond flour and roll into a log about 1 to 2 inches (3 to 4 cm) thick. Cut 16 biscuits from the log, by slicing every 3/4 of an inch (2 cm), or so. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, broccoli, grated cheese, garlic, optional chili flakes and a bit of salt and pepper. Mix well and then pour into a pour into a deep 13" x 9" casserole pan (33cm x 23cm x 5cm). Cover the chicken mixture by tiling the 12 biscuits over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 28 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Serve!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …