Servings: 8 Prep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Total: 30 min
I love a cream based soup. Just about anything heated, pureed with cream and a little salt is fantastic! A good tomato, with a little salt … FANTASTIC! Tomatoes, with cream, pureed with a little salt! AMAZING!
It’s such a simple thing. Tomatoes, cream, heat, puree and eat. Basic, simple and comforting. All that’s really needed now is … a grilled cheese sandwich!
Cream of Tomato Soup can be garnished in a variety of ways. Just some fresh slices of basil is a great way to go. Some fried garlic chips are delicious! Bacon and parmesan crisp, with a drizzle of bacon fat. YUM!
Cream of Tomato SoupPrint Rate
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 each small onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 each garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine good quality
- 2 lb fresh assorted tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2 1/2 cups cream heavy whipping
- 16 leaves fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium-low heat, place a soup pot. Add olive oil.
- Sweat your onions and garlic, for about 5 minutes. Add the chili flakes and a small amount of salt and pepper, then cook until translucent.
- Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the tomatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and heat until JUST before it boils. It should be hot, but before it begins to simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Puree the soup in a blender. While the soup is pureeing, add your fresh basil leaves. Adjust seasoning.
- Optional Step: For a smoother soup, you can strain the soup base through a fine mesh sieve.
- Garnish and serve!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …