Servings: 6 Prep: 20 min Cook: 15 min Total: 35 min
YAY! Another bacon wrapped recipe. YAY!!!
This combines several of my favorite things … Grillin’ stuff … wrappin’ stuff in bacon and … shrimp! It’s also got some fun little twists, like the addition of some BBQ sauce and a fresh basil leaf. Familiar and comfortable, yet … different and with a slight basil kick!
The Big Trick: The trick with these is stretching the bacon out, so that it’s really really thin, before wrapping them around the shrimp. When I did it, I laid the bacon out on my cutting board, then used the side of my knife and the palm of my hand to literally SQUOOSH the bacon slices. This made very thin “sheets” of bacon, which I was then able to use to wrap around the shrimps.
BBQ'd Bacon Wrapped Basil ShrimpPrint Rate
- 18 each large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup sugar free bbq sauce
- 6 slices raw bacon
- 18 leaves fresh basil
- 18 each bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- salt pepper and chili flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp light olive oil for grilling
- Marinate the shrimp in the BBQ sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- While the shrimp is marinating, cut each slice of bacon into 3rds. This will result in 18 approx. three-inch slices of bacon. Squish each slice of bacon with the side of a knife, or the bottom of a pan. Don't tear it up. You want 18 nice thin "sheets" of bacon.
- Set each sheet of bacon on a cutting board and place a nice basil leaf on top of each sheet.
- Place a marinated shrimp above each basil leaf. Season with a small amount of salt and pepper (chili flakes are a nice addition, too!)
- Wrap each slice of bacon around the shrimp and use a thin pre-moistened skewer to hold the bacon in place. You can also put up to 3 per skewer, for a different look.
- Brush the oil on the grill, to help prevent sticking. Grill the shrimps over medium high heat, until the bacon is crisp and the shrimps are cooked through.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …