Servings: 1 Prep: 5 mins Cook: 1 min Total: 6 mins
Someone, somewhere, at some point in time decided to run a poorly run test on cooked carrots, deeming them to be INCREDIBLY high glycemic, converting to glucose in the blood MUCH FASTER than regular ol’ table sugar! As a result, these fairly low-carb underground orange sticks have been passed over, time and time again, by most looking to maintain a stable level of blood sugar.
I’m here to tell you … lies. ALL LIES!!
Carrots are fine! They are, in fact, good for you! Cooked, raw, peeled or unpeeled, carrots are NOT going to hurt you. When I really stop and think about it, it’s silly to think that someone, somewhere, at some point in time became obese by a carrot heavy diet. I just really don’t believe that to be true.
Carrots were once thought to have a GI of 90+ (pure glucose is 100, while table sugar is merely 65!). Current reports clock cooked carrots in at closer to 30 or 40, which is fairly low glycemic (lower than sweet potatoes).
THESE sweet carrot and pecan muffins attempt to capture the spirit of a fresh carrot cake, smeared with a bit of cream cheese frosting! It’s pretty amazing what can be done in 60 seconds!
Frosted Carrot Cake OMM with PecansPrint Rate
Carrot Cake OMM with Pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 tbsp full fat cream cheese warmed
- 1 tbsp fresh whole butter softened
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar equivalent
- dash vanilla extract
- dash salt
- In a wide mouthed coffee mug, combine your flax, almond meal, sugar replacement, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. (I like to grease my mug first, but I don't think it's necessary)
- Mix in your carrots, pecans, egg, butter and vanilla.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds (90 seconds if using a weaker microwave)
- While the muffin is nuking, beat together your cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar replacement, vanilla and salt. Make sure your cream cheese and butter are soft (leave out at room temperature for a while) before whipping, or else mixing will be difficult, at best.
- Slather some frosting on top. Eat and enjoy!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …