Servings: 8 Prep: 20 min Cook: 2 hrs 30 min Total: 2 hrs 50 mins
First of all, let me just say that I have no idea where the name for these things came from. I didn’t name them, although I’d happily take the credit! While it’s a definitely a horrible sounding name for a delightful foodstuff, it’s also a playful and memorable one. Who could really forget that they went to a BBQ last weekend and had about 18 Atomic Buffalo Turds! Talk about water cooler talk!
More often than not, possibly due to the PG-13 rating of its title, or perhaps the scatological nature of its designation, they are frequently listed by their initials: ABT’s
Alternately, these could be called “Bacon Wrapped and Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeños”, which is what they are. This may be what you’d call them when talking to your mother, but for me and my smoker buddies … the name stays. Some people seem to call these Jalapeño Poppers, but … to me … these are a different animal. Poppers are stuffed with cream cheese, breaded and fried. On the other hand, an ABT is stuffed with meat, wrapped in bacon and is smoked. ABT’s are a part of a BBQ scene. They live in a world of tailgate parties, backyard BBQ’s and sunny days. They live in a land of exotic sounding wood names, large pieces of pork and deep bowls of colorful coleslaw.
An Atomic Buffalo Turd is actually not that spicy! Sure, they’ve got a little kick to ’em, but because part of the process involves scooping out the seeds and internal ribs, most of the capsaicin is removed, rending the chilies relatively feeble. If you’d like to make them hotter, feel free to throw some of the seeds into the chorizo, before stuffing. This’ll give ’em a little boost!
Easy to make, with only a few simple ingredients, these little handheld snacks can (and probably should be!) the centerpiece of any outdoor gathering.
Atomic Buffalo TurdsPrint Rate
- 16 each jalapeño peppers
- 1 lb raw bulk chorizo
- 8 ounces regular cream cheese (not low fat)
- 16 slices raw bacon cut in half
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Prepare your smoker. Pre-heat to between 215 F and 235 F (this can be done in an oven without smoke, and still tastes great, but ... loses that smoky quality). Depending on your approach to the smoking process, you can also soak some hickory, or other aromatic wood chips in some water at this point. Finally, put a drip pan filled with water on the rack beneath where the ABT's will go.
- Cut your peppers in half, lengthwise. With a small spoon or melon baller, scrape out the seeds and rib membranes from within each jalapeño half. Season the insides with a little salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chorizo and cream cheese, with a little bit of salt and pepper. Combine until smooth.
- Stuff the jalapeño halves with the sausage mixture. I rolled little cigar shaped chorizo logs and pressed them into each half. This seemed to work well!
- Stretch each bacon slice to maximize its length. Wrap each jalapeño in a half slice of bacon. I usually start on the bottom and try and end on the bottom, as well. This way, the weight of the jalapeño sitting in both ends of the bacon slice will keep everything tidy. However, you may use toothpicks, if you feel the need.
- Place the ABTs on a rack in the smoker, above the drip pan. Alternately, place them on a baking tray in the oven at about 225 F. Smoke or bake for about 2 ½ hours, until the bacon is dark, cooked and crispy.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …
12 thoughts on “Atomic Buffalo Turds”
I don’t have a smoker and so was planning to make these along with your mini-frittatas for my friends for brunch in a few weeks. Since I have to use the oven anyway, do you think they would come out okay at a higher temperature for a shorter time? I’d love to be able to throw them in with the frittatas and be done in 20 mins. What do you think?
LOVE your blog, btw!
Hi Christina. Thanks for the kind words! Yes, it would work and still be quite tasty. It won’t be smokey (obviously) and the flavors won’t meld together quite as deeply, but it’ll still be a very tasty treat! If you wanted to do them at the same time, I’d suggest dropping the oven to about 325 F. Then, add the ABTs about 10 minutes before the mini-quiches. Then, add the quiches. Let them both bake together for about 20 minutes. It "should" work out about perfectly. If the ABTs are still a bit pale, you can turn on the broiler and give them a quick shot of direct heat from above. Set a timer and check them about every 90 seconds … don’t let them burn! Let me know how it all turns out. The ABTs can make for a fun conversation starter! 😉
If you want a smokey taste without using a smoker, just add a dash of liquid smoke. 😊
Use liquid smoke on the bacon and you don’t need a smoker. It is really affordable…
Yep, liquid smoke is a way to add smoky flavor …
I’ve made these with Velveeta cheese instead of cream cheesed and threw in a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies in the cheese wrapped with bacon and cooked in the oven they were wonderful!!!
Interesting, Adam! I would’ve thought that would add too much moisture. I’m sure they were delicious, but … how messy were they?! 😉
Sure enjoying your humor and all these yummy looking recipes! Thanks for your light-heartedness!
My pleasure, Carly. Thanks for the kind words and … welcome! 🙂
Use strawberry cream cheese and you will be surprised how fantastic they taste!!!
Strawberry cream cheese?! That’s crazy! 🙂
Just received your book and have chuckled my way through it. I too have lost over 100 lbs with this lifestyle. Was able to get off of four daily injections of insulin and am now attempting to get my Hubby on board. Your book is proving to be very beneficial. Thank you.
We will now become Friday night turd eaters!