Servings: 8 Prep: 30 min Cook: 0 min Total: 30 min
This is an elegant little appetizer. These could also serve well on a platter for a party in your home. They’re attractive, delicious AND low carb! This is the kind of dish that I love. It’s completely low carb, but no one would ever second guess it. It just looks light and delicious!
I’ve also done something kind of fun and used the celery leaves as part of the salad. These usually wind up in the trash, but …. Why? They’re beautiful and delicious! Just make sure you stick with the lighter shades, near the heart of the celery. They’re less bitter and not as fibrous.
Shrimp Salad Endive Spears with Celery Leaf SaladPrint Rate
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined and cooked
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard whole grain
- 1/2 cup onion fine diced
- 1/4 cup celery fine diced
- 1/4 cup carrot fine diced
- 1 bunch tarragon stems removed
- 1 handful celery heart leaves
- 3 heads belgian endive
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- First 4 steps are done in advance. Cut your shrimp into small bite sized pieces. Set aside to chill.
- Mix together your mayonnaise and dijon. Set aside, to chill.
- Combine your onions, celery and carrots. Set aside, to chill.
- Mix together your whole leaves of tarragon and soft light green celery leaves, from the heart. Could also use dill, fennel fronds, mache, chervil or parsley leaves. Cover with a moist towel and set aside, to chill.
- When the time comes to serve, cut the bottoms off your endive. Cut about 1/2 inch from the base of the endive. Look for 24 nice big spears. With some of the unused smaller spears, you can slice them thin and add them to the shrimp salad (not too much, though ... endive can be bitter).
- Take a small portion of the dijon mayo and spread it along the bottom of a plate or platter, to serve as a "glue" for the endive. This will help hold them in place, or else they like to roll around.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the shrimp, the remainder of the dijon mayo and the veggies. Season with a little salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add a nice spoonful of salad to each endive spear.
- Please each spear on the plate or platter.
- Top each spear with a small amount of salad.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …