Servings: 6 Prep: 15 mins Cook: 15 mins Total: 35 mins
I loved this dip. I LOOOoOOoOooOVED this dip!
The day that I made this dip, I also whipped up a batch of Spicy Cumin-Cheddar Crackers. As is common on the days I do my cooking sessions, I cook between 8 and 15 recipes, at the same time. In terms of determining which are my FAVORITES, it largely comes down to which recipes were gone at the end of the day.
THIS recipe, as well as the crackers, were totally gone. Vanished. Skeedoodled. Vamoosed. EATEN!
This recipe uses Jalapeños, which aren’t THAT spicy. I also suggest cutting out the ribs and seeds, which further eliminates the heat. In the end, this dip has a mild kick. Obviously, if you’d like to omit the heat, omit the peppers. However, on the flipside, if you want to ADD heat, you can double the peppers, or you can use different peppers, such as the fiery habanero! Finally, a little bit of your favorite hot pepper sauce in the cheese base won’t hurt anything at all. As you’re mixing the base, add a bit of your favorite chili sauce, taste it and adjust seasoning before you top with cheese and bake!
Bacon, Cheddar and Jalapeño DipPrint Rate
- 2 tbsp fat (olive oil butter ... or even bacon fat!)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 each jalapeño chillies seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 4 each garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces regular cream cheese (not low fat)
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese grated and divided
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/4 bunch cilantro washed, large stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- In a medium sauté pan, over medium heat, add your fat (bacon fat, butter, lard or olive oil), onions, garlic and diced jalapeños, along with a little bit of salt and pepper. Saute until the ingredients are soft and lightly colored (about 10 to 15 minutes). Remove and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese, bacon, cilantro, cumin, coriander and a bit of salt and pepper. Add the veggies and mix the ingredient thoroughly.
- Place the cream cheese mixture into an oven-proof casserole pan, or something roughly the size of a pie pan. Press the dip into the pan so that it's got a flat top. Top the dip with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake the dip until the top is melted and lightly colored, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …