Servings: 4 Prep: 5 min Cook: 20 min Total: 25 min
This is a super quick tomato sauce for a tasty, lazy, and rapid assembly. Its fantastic with fish, on top of pasta, served with eggs, quiche, etc.
Many basic tomato recipes use canned tomatoes. This is a great way to go for consistency and ease, but when there are a nice variety of fresh ripe tomatoes, a quick vibrant sauce is the way to go. Look for ripe, peak-of-season tomatoes.
This sauce comes together, so quickly!
Beyond Quick and Basic Tomato SaucePrint Rate
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 each garlic clove thinly sliced
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes (in season) diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 each basil leaves large and fresh
- On medium heat, place a medium sauce pan.
- Add the oil to the pan.
- Once the oil begins to ripple, add your sliced garlic.
- Immediately turn down the temperature on the stove, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Once the garlic is a very light golden color, add your diced tomatoes.
- Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes (upwards of 30 for more pulpy tomatoes, like Romas).
- Adjust the seasoning, to suit your tastes.
- At the very last moment, tear your basil leaves and stir into the sauce.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …