Servings: 8 Prep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Total: 30 min
This broccoli soup is one I make often. It’s a quick and easy lunch and is also very very tasty. It also uses the broccoli stem, which I LOVE! Once the outer layer of a broccoli stem is peeled away, the light green/white inner portion of the stem is very tender and delicious!
There was always a comforting familiarity with this soup, but I could never quite place it. Then, one day, it hit me. It looks and tastes just like Split Pea Soup! I imagine that it’s the ham pureed with the broccoli, but it gives the soup’s texture a nice “meatiness”. There’s a bit of a “chew”.
It’s SOOO good!!
Broccoli and Ham Soup: Not Split Pea!Print Rate
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 large bunch broccoli including stalks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb ham or Canadian bacon cut into strips
- 1 tsp fresh oregano stems removed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cream heavy whipping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken broth into a soup pot, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Peel the large stem end of the broccoli, removing and discarding the outer fibrous layer.
- Cut the broccoli head into small bite sized florets. With the stems, cut into bite sized pieces, as well. Set aside.
- Preheat a large sauté pan. Once hot, melt the butter over high heat. Quickly, add the broccoli, ham and oregano, before the butter burns. Season with a little salt and pepper. Sauté over high heat, until lightly browned and the broccoli is somewhat soft.
- Add most of the broccoli-ham mixture to the chicken broth. Leave roughly 20% in the sauté pan, on the side, as a garnish, when the soup is complete.
- Add the cream to the chicken broth, broccoli and ham. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Once it simmers, puree the hot soup in a blender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If soup is too thick, add more chicken stock or cream to adjust the consistency.
- Distribute the soup into 8 soup bowls, adding the warm garnish to the center of each soup bowl.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …