Servings: 6 Prep: 45 mins Cook: 15 mins Total: 60 mins
I have a follower on my Facebook page going by the alias of “Mombie Zoprano”. I do not know her real name. It remains a mystery. I can only assume she’s wanted in connection with all the missing gumball machines in the San Joaquin Valley. In any event, she popped onto my radar when I was added to the cookbook authoring team at Low Carbing Among Friends. She was incredibly complimentary and I have not forgotten her words. Flattery will get you everwhere!
Since then, she occasionally pops onto my Facebook page, or sends me private messages announcing what she’s just made herself that evening. She also shares a variety of recipes and things she’s considering cooking. Her enthusiastic delivery can only be described as “Sqwee-ing”. Always a delight!
One of her ideas was for something along the lines of this here dish. Because the concept originated with a list stemming from Mombie, I’ve named it after her. Ultimately, it’s a Chicken Alfredo with Spaghetti Squash, but… that name undermines the true story behind how this recipe has come to be on my website.
Thanks for the inspiration, Mombie! I hope I’ve done your idea proud!
Chicken Ala MombiePrint Rate
- 6 each boneless chicken breasts (or equivalent thigh meat - skin optional)
- 2 tbsp light oil (coconut olive ... or even bacon fat!)
- 1 roughly 5-lb. spaghetti squash pre-roasted and hot
- 1 recipe low carb alfredo sauce (about 2 cups)
- 18 leaves fresh basil washed and hand torn or sliced
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Butterfly the chicken breasts (or buy them that way). Lay a chicken breast on a flat cutting board. Place a knife parallel to the cutting board, about 1/2 inch above the surface. Slice into the breast, maintaining a slice that is parallel to the cutting board and essentially cuts the breast in half. Both top and bottom halves should be equal in thickness.
- Once you've got thin sheets of chicken breast, place each piece between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound even thinner. You can use a mallet, rolling pin, or even the bottom of a sauce pan. Just be careful to hit it flatly and evenly, or else you will make deep divots in the chicken. Ideally, the chicken will be a thin and even sheet of chicken breast when you are done.
- Remove each slice from the plastic and VERY lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Note: This recipe suggests that your sauce is already made and sitting warm on the stove, alongside your pre-cooked spaghetti squash. Before cooking the chicken, be sure that the rest of the dish is ready, as the chicken cooks in minutes.
- In a large hot sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add your light oil.
- When you see the oil begin to ripple, add your chicken. Depending on how the chicken was cut and pounded, you may be able to fit multiple pieces. However, you want a single layer of chicken, with the entire side of each piece touching the bottom of the pan, for a nice hot searing effect.
- After about 1 to 2 minutes of hot searing chicken, flip and do the same thing on the other side. Once the chicken is nicely browned and cooked through, set it aside somewhere warm. Repeat this process with each piece of chicken, until you have cooked it all.
- Place a nice mound of spaghetti squash on 6 plates. Place a few basil leaves on the squash. Pile chicken on the top of the spaghetti squash and then finish with the Alfredo Sauce.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …