Servings: 4 Prep: 15 mins Cook: 10 mins Total: 25 mins
I can’t be the only low-carber on the planet that loves pasta. I suspect many also love pasta SALAD. It’ s hard to believe you can eat a nice chilled pasta salad while low-carbing … isn’t it?! Well … you can! (at least most of you can … some of the time)
Most pasta salads tend to get better as it sits in its juices for a day or two. Because this pasta has a protective matrix that breaks down if overcooked, I wouldn’t suggest saving it or letting it “marinate”. Make it and eat it fresh. That’s the only way I’d trust it not to release too many carbs into my blood stream. Eat responsibly! ☺
Note: I mention chiffonade of basil. It’s basically basil that’s been cut into strips. You can see the method, here.
Thoughts on Pasta: I’m using Dreamfield’s pasta in this recipe. It looks, tastes and cooks just like any other dried pasta that you may have used. They use some kind of fiber coating miracle matrix that keeps people from digesting the carbs. I don’t want to claim that this product is perfect or that everyone reacts to it in the same way. I have read reports from diabetics stating that it DOES impact the blood, but that it’s a slower release than most other pastas (meaning the rise and peak occurs later than it normally would, so … check your blood levels several hours after eating it). Reports vary. Other diabetics have zero issue with it. Some low carbers claim it causes cravings for them, and others do not. Some claim it stalls them, others do not. My personal stance is that eating less than 2 servings at a time is acceptable and that it should be cooked as directed on the box, or even a little less. DO NOT OVER COOK (this breaks down the protective matrix … which may be why some of the diabetics report changes to their blood sugar. These folks may have overcooked it). I also suggest eating only occasionally, no more than once a week. I have found that eating this about once every 2 weeks is perfect. I have been able to eat this and continue losing. However, if I eat it more than that, I tend to start developing cravings for it, which … is never good. A well maintained low carb way of eating should result in very few cravings, if ever. This is a product that can, in my experience, cause cravings … if abused. I very much feel that this is a great product and has never held me back from continued losses, however it’s technically for maintenance and is a very high rung on the Atkins ladder (grain level). Eat with caution … but also … ENJOY IT. IT’S DELICIOUS!
Dreamfield’s Nutrition Disclaimer: Due to the magic of the fiber coated matrix, a single 56 gram portion is shown as having 5 grams of digestable carbs. However, my recipe system isn’t designed to display their nutrition information in the magical way in which they’ve been able to. As a result, I’m fudging the numbers to show 42 grams of carbs, with 37 grams of fiber. Technically, this isn’t true, but it’s the only way to have the math display numbers that match Dreamfield’s claims.
Cool Pasta SaladPrint Rate
- 4 portions low carb pasta (rotini penne or elbows would be best)
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes washed, dried and halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives rough chop
- 4 whole artichoke hearts in oil cut into 8 wedges, each
- 2 tsp capers drained and coarsely chopped
- 16 leaves fresh basil cut into ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1/2 cup parmesan (reggiano) cheese grated
- 2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box, or just slightly under (do not overcook, even if you like to.)
- When straining the hot pasta through a colander, immediately spray cold water over the pasta, while it stays in the straininer, within your sink. Continue to spray cold water on the pasta until the pasta has stopped cooking and is thoroughly chilled through.
- Toss the pasta with a small amount of oil, to prevent it from sticking. Leave it in the sink, to continue draining.
- In a large bowl, assemble the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the chilled pasta and toss all the ingredients together, to coat the pasta evenly with all the oil and juices.
- Serve immediately!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …