Servings: 6 Prep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Total: 30 min
Simple, simple, simple and easy. There’s something about “Curry Powder” that I just love! It’s a very specific flavor, which is odd due to the fact that it’s a blend of multiple spices, different companies do it differently and there’s no clear origin for the concept.
Yet, when you think of “Curry Powder”, you pretty much know you’re going to get a yellow powder with a strong taste of cumin, coriander, ginger, fenugreek, and turmeric. All sorts of other things can be added, like cardamom, cinnamon, mustard seed, all sorts of chilies, cloves, asafetida, fennel, caraway, pepper, yada yada yada.
The flavor that Westerners have grown accustomed to is said to come from the British, during the colonial rule of India, as a means for approximating the taste of Indian cuisine, at home. There are other stories, but … the British seemed to have had a heavy hand in it. In Indian homes, there are literally as many curry powder varieties and blends are there are possible combinations of spice.
In any event, these simple and tasty skewers would be delicious perched on a simple salad, with perhaps a few pieces slices of orange, or some thin slices of raw sweet onion, bell peppers and cilantro. Something clean, with a touch of sweet!
Curried Chicken SkewersPrint Rate
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 4 each garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 18 each bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- salt pepper and chili flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for grilling
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl, except the salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Thread the chicken on the bamboo skewers, weaving the skewer in and out, down the center of each strip of chicken.
- Pre-heat a grill.
- Season the chicken with salt, black pepper and chili flakes.
- Once the grill is hot, brush it with coconut oil and quickly place your chicken on the grill.
- Grill each skewer, until it's nicely seared and cooked through.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …
2 thoughts on “Curried Chicken Skewers”
Is there a brand of “curry powder” that you prefer?
A lot comes down to what’s available or the price I’m shooting for. However, it does seem as if I frequently purchase “Simply Organic” brand.
Sorry for not having a more clear brand allegiance!