Servings: 8 Prep: 20 min Cook: 45 min Total: 1 hr 5 min
Egg Drop Soup is usually a thick and viscous chicken based soup, rich with ginger and a white pepper overcast. It’s also often very subtle and almost bland. Interestingly, the blander … the better! You should really taste the strands of egg, and not let the ginger, soy, sesame or white pepper get in the way.
I don’t eat like that.
Even though I know Egg Drop Soup should be mellow, I tend to make mine with some punch. You can tweak the following ingredients to suit your own tastes.
Great on a cold day, or any day with the sniffles!
Egg Drop SoupPrint Rate
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 large whole eggs beaten
- 4 whole green onions (scallions) cut into thin rings (or whole cilantro leaves ... which is my personal preference)
- 2 tbsp hot sesame oil
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Bring the chicken broth, ginger and soy sauce to a simmer. Allow to simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sesame seeds, guar gum and xanthan gums.
- Quickly whisk the sesame seeds and gums into the soup base. Allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off on the soup. Stir it slowly and deliberately into a clockwise fashion. The soup will move in a circle around the pot.
- Slowly pour the eggs into the deliberately swirling soup. Egg ribbons will form in the slightly thickened soup.
- Add the fresh green onions to the soup and season with salt and white pepper.
- Divide the soup into 8 soup bowls and garnish with hot sesame oil.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …