Servings: 2 Prep: 10 min Cook: 10 min Total: 20 min
This thing is buttery, crispity, salty, cheesy and mustardy. Served straight out of the pan, there are very few things that make me happier (actually, there are a lot of things that make me happier, but … that somewhat minimizes the emphasis I’m trying to display, here).
A grilled Ham and Swiss cheese sandwich is a perfect and simple food. It can only be improved by serving it with a hot cup of Cream of Tomato Soup.
You know … for dipping.
This sandwich is … for lack of a better phrase … The Bee’s Knees.
Grilled Ham SandwichPrint Rate
- 4 slices low carb bread
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard whole grain
- 4 slices gruyere or emmentaler cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 4 slices ham
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spread 1 tbsp of whole grain Dijon mustard on one side of each of the 4 bread slices.
- Lay two slices of bread, side-by-side, mustard side up.
- Season the tomatoes with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Build each sandwich, with one slice cheese, 2 slices bacon, sliced tomatoes, 2 slices ham, and the final slice of cheese. These orders of ingredients helps hold the sandwich together, and prevents the tomatoes from making the bread get soggy.
- Place the final slices of bread on the sandwich, mustard side down.
- Pre-heat a wide sauté pan on the stove, over medium-low heat.
- Add your butter to the pan and swirl it around. The butter doesn't need to completely melt, but the bottom should be evenly coated with a layer of melted butter.
- Add your two sandwiches to the pan and cook until one side is golden brown.
- Flip the sandwiches to cook the other side, until it is also golden brown. This needs to be done somewhat slowly, to makes sure the cheese melts and the sandwich is cooked through. You may want to consider placing the whole pan into a pre-heated oven, if you're using particularly thick slices of bread, or extra meat.
- Once the sandwiches are cooked through, remove them from the pan.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and eat!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …