Servings: 6 Prep: 10 min Cook: 0 min Total: 10 min
This is an incredibly simple salad, but don’t mistake it for an uninteresting one. It’s fresh, colorful, crunchy and a bit zippy! It makes a perfect companion to any BBQ or social gathering, while also only taking a few minutes to whip up! The salt and acid from the vinegar macerate the vegetables, creating a more unified solid “slaw”, as opposed to a random assortment of vegetables.
With only 4 ingredients, this salad can actually fill many roles. It’s wonderful atop a BBQ Pork Bowl, or served in a Fish Taco. It’s spectacular on its own, or served within a Slider. It can really fit in anywhere standard coleslaw lives, but it’s completely vegetarian. In fact, being that it’s without eggs, it’s completely vegan!
For those seeking a slightly sweeter experience, you can always add a little something sweet to it … to taste. I can also envision throwing some fresh herbs into it, to give it some blasts of color, a richer nutrient blend and maybe even to serve as a complement to another dish. Perhaps some fresh cilantro with your taco? Or, perhaps some fresh thyme and a little cayenne to go with your pork?
As is, this basic salad is quite tasty, but I encourage you to throw a few ingredients into it, to make it your own. Green onions and roasted pumpkin seeds, anyone?
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage sliced into thin strips
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut into thin strips (or grated with grater)
- 1 small red onion peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Mix all your ingredients together. It can be eaten right away, but it's better if left in the refrigerator for a few hours, up to overnight. While still quite crunchy, it melds together into a soft and more cohesive slaw.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …