Servings: 4 Prep: 5 mins Cook: 0 mins Total: 5 mins
This is a strange lead in to a recipe, but it’s the only place I can think to start!
My father is a picky eater. Like, an over-the-top, silly, ludicrously picky eater. He’s such a picky eater, he’ll even allow himself to be rude, if he doesn’t like something. If he won’t eat it, it’s simply not getting eaten. Period. Vegetables, pretty much, are right out. He is a true “Steak and Potatoes” man.
It’s odd to me, in that … he likes … maybe even LOVES … The Wedge!
While my father will likely kill me for divulging such sensitive info, I would never have thought to add “The Big Green Wedge” to my website, were it not for him! So, Dad … I dedicate this one to you!
The puzzling thing is … he won’t eat lettuce (at least, I don’t “think” he will). He won’t eat vegetables. He won’t eat “green things”, but … THIS is a big slab ‘o green thing! It’s BAFFLING to me why he would eat this, while avoiding a million other far tastier things!
At the very least, I’ve come to one logical conclusion. THIS salad is like the STEAK of salads! I have to assume that a vegetarian would look at this like a steak, right? It’s a man salad, for a man! Sure, a woman can order and eat the steak of salads, but … a man can order “The Great Wedge” and … still feel like a man!
So, for those of you out there facing feeding picky eaters, people who won’t eat their salads … here’s one to put in front of them.
The Great Green Wedge … the STEAK of Salads!
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce washed
- 2 oz quality Roquefort cheese crumbled
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes washed, dried and halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves washed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the iceberg lettuce into quarters. Often, the core will be "rusty". Cut off the rust, but leave each core quarter intact, as it's what holds all the leaves together.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes, parsely, bacon, olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Toss them together and set aside.
- Place a wedge of lettuce, facing up, on each of 4 places. Divide the tomato mixture over the top of the 4 wedges and then drizzle a healthy portion of blue cheese dressing over each plate. Finally, season the whole plate with a bit more salt and pepper. Serve!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …
2 thoughts on “Big Wedge Salad”
this was awesome! I never thought to do it before using EVOO and mixing it with bleu cheese, bacon bits, and tomatoes before. I really liked it, thanks DJ!!
Fantastic, Lisa! I’m glad you enjoyed it!