Servings: 4 Prep: 10 min Cook: 10 min Total: 20 min
This rapid-fire, one pot dinner takes just a few minutes to cook and is full of everything one needs to sustain life! It’s got plenty of good fats, protein and a nice selection of nutrients from the various herbs and vegetables. I know dairy is a problem for some, but for those that love cream, or even PESTO cream, you’ll LOVE this dish!
It started as a response as a desire to cut pasta out, completely. I wanted something that tasted like pasta and had all the “stuff” I’d put into a pasta, but … sans pasta! The goal was to see if I’d really miss it. I wanted to know if I could really live in a world with just stir fried veggies, floating in a thick and opulent cream sauce, with parmesan, basil, garlic and bacon! Not only does it turn out that I can, but I invited various family members over the evening I made this dish (along with about 10 others). They all unanimously agreed that THIS was the winner that evenings.
It’s tough to go wrong when everything on your plate is coated with cheese, cream and bacon! Even with all the green things! Yum.
Creamy Pesto Chicken PrimaveraPrint Rate
- 1 1/2 cups cream heavy whipping
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs boneless chicken cut into strips
- 1/4 large bunch broccoli including stalks, cut into florets
- 2 each small green zucchini cut into half moons
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into about 1-1/2 inch sticks
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 16 leaves fresh basil whole or hand torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Note: This is done quickly and with a very hot pan. Have everything ready to go and then ... just sauté it up hot, then eat! I might also suggest splitting all your ingredients into two halves and either doing this in 2 hot pans at the same time, or in 2 quick batches. It goes quick and will help keep things hot and moving.
- In a bowl, mix together your pesto and cream. Set aside.
- Olive oil burns quickly when it's added to a hot pan, so instead, we're going to toss our chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. This will help keep it from burning.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat.
- Sprinkle your chicken around the bottom of the hot pan and let it sear and get nice and golden on one side. Do not crowd the pan. Drizzle any extra oil from the chicken bowl into the pan.
- Add your broccoli and toss together with the chicken. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add your zucchini to the pan and toss. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add your asparagus to the pan and toss. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add your bacon bits to the pan and cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour your pesto cream sauce into the pan and swirl all the ingredients together. When the cream sauce begins to noticeably thicken, about 1 to 2 minutes, dust the pan with your grated parmesan cheese and toss or stir the ingredients together.
- Serve! Top with fresh basil leaves.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …