Servings: 1 Prep: 5 mins Cook: 0 mins Total: 5 mins
This tasty beverage falls somewhere between a snack, a drink, a dessert and a fat bomb. What’s a fat bomb? Well … it’s a recipe containing a high quantity of fat!
This dairy-free treat is loaded with quality fats, from the cocoa powder to the coconut milk to the macadamia nuts. These fats will help you feel satisfied and “full” far longer than any non-fat, sugary shake you’ll find. This cool and flavorful flurry of tastiness will quench, delight and satisfy!
This, I realize, is contrary to what most of us have been told for the majority of our lives, but … fat is awesome! Not all fats, mind you, but … GOOD fats are GOOD!
Good fats come in the form of: olive, flaxseed, palm, avocado, coconut and other nut oils. Animal fats are also quite healthy: butter, ghee, lard, tallow, poultry fats, etc.
Bad fats come in the form of: margarine, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, manmade trans-fats often found in things like butter flavored “spreads”. Other highly processed oils like canola, corn, vegetable and soybean should be avoided.
Here’s a list of 10 reasons why fat rocks:
- Your brain is made of primarily fat and cholesterol. Starving your brain of fat removes its ability to function properly. Fat can remove “brain fog” and increase clarity.
- Improves cardiovascular system. Reduces lipoprotein (a) and increases HDL cholesterol and the HDL:TC ratio, while leaving LDL mostly unchanged.
- Contributes to weight loss.
- No storing of excess fat in the liver. Will also help protect the liver from booze and some medications.
- Healthy fats provide quality energy. Fat is the densest form of energy, at 9 calories per gram (more than double carbohydrates or protein)
- Increases sense of satiety, especially within a diet comprised of few simple sugars. A small fat bomb can satisfy for several hours. Because of this satiety, overeating “fat” becomes uncomfortable and unlikely.
- Builds stronger bones. Saturated animal fats help calcium more effectively be incorporated into bone. No osteoporosis fears!
- Quality nerve signaling. Many fats function as signaling messengers which influence metabolism, including the release of insulin.
- Boost immune system health. Fight against cancerous cells and infectious invaders!
- Fat helps the absorption of the nutrients in other foods, such as leafy greens.
- One more: fat is flavor!
Toppings Note: I cheated when I made this. It’s a dairy free beverage, but in the heat of the moment, I grabbed some cream, whipped it and topped the glass with sweetened whipped cream and some toasted coconut and macadamia. That’s just the wrong topping, in my opinion. Whoops! Haste makes waste! In any event, you can make a lovely whipped topping with coconut milk. Here’s how!
Coconut-Cocoa-Macadamia SmoothiePrint Rate
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp crushed salted macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp 'Swerve' or other sugar replacement
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- Blend the ingredients in a blender until smooth and yummy. Top with whipped coconut cream, toasted coconut and macadamia nuts. Enjoy!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …