Servings: 8 Prep: 5 min Cook: 15 min Total: 2 hrs 20 min
Eggnog is one word. Did you know that? I didn’t! I’ve always spelled it as two words! Wacky stuff!
When eating a low carb and sugar free way of life, sometimes it becomes reasonable to adopt meals, snacks, beverages or desserts that are outside the norm. Eggnog is something that I view as being a part of the winter season. However, it’s actually quite delicious! It’s a good way to get some healthy fats. It’s also great as a base in protein shakes. Whisk some into your morning coffee or tea, for a different kind of taste sensation!
Most eggnog recipes use raw eggs. However, the store bought stuff is at least pasteurized. I’m picky, I suppose. I balk at raw eggs. Even my normal eggs that I eat for breakfast are famously overcooked. So, because I’m fussy … and I don’t mind making a custard base … this thick and luxurious eggnog recipe is cooked!
I made it quite regularly when I was focused on a zero carb way of eating and wanted something different. I drank a lot of eggnog, that month!
Try it. Don’t wait for winter. It’s good … year round!
Luxurious EggnogPrint Rate
- Combine cream and almond milk in a medium sauce pan.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean. Add the bean and seeds to the milk and cream.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, bring the milk to a slow simmer.
- Remove the milk from the heat and whisk the sugar and salt into the milk. Make sure it dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well.
- Very very slowly, whisk the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Whisk quickly, so as to incorporate the hot liquid evenly, without cooking or scrambling the eggs.
- Once the liquid has been incorporated into the eggs, pour the milk-egg mixture back into the sauce pan and return to a low heat.
- Stir consistently until the eggnog thickens. The temperature should be between 165 and 175. Whatever you do, do not boil this mixture.
- Strain the eggnog.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …