Servings: 8 Prep: 20 min Cook: 5 mins Total: 25 mins
This is a whole lot like the Central and South American Sushi known as “Ceviche”, except that … well … it’s not!
Normally, a Ceviche takes a super fresh raw fish, packs it in fresh citrus juices to “cook” and then later tosses it with various spices and other odds and ends, like tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, cilantro, avocadoes, etc.
This recipe is like that, except that … I’m suggesting we cook the shrimp. For the adventurous among you, if you’ve got some really excellent fresh fish or shrimp and you want to soak it in lime juice until they turn pink … go for it! I, unfortunately, am not so brave that I’d suggest that the general public squeeze a little lime on some fish and then eat a big bowl of it. Anything … just … this … side … of … “fresh” and we’ve got a problem on our hands.
*ahem* … This is a PERFECT dish for a light summer lunch! You could even serve it inside the avocado shells! Or, serve it as a bigger south-of-the-border type feast for friends and family! It’s exceedingly fresh, full of flavor y es muy saludable!
Shrimp-Avocado SaladPrint Rate
- 1 1/2 lb shrimp peeled, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb assorted fresh cherry tomatoes cut into halves and quarters
- 2 whole avocado peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 4 each garlic cloves minced
- 1 each jalepeno chillies seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro washed and large stems removed
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Boil a pot of salted water. While the water comes up to a boil, place a large bowl of ice water nearby. Once the water boils, add the shrimp. Simmer in the water until the shrimp are pink and just about cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the water and plunge into the ice water. Let the shrimp fully chill.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more jalepenos for more spice, more salt and pepper if it needs it and a bit more lime if you enjoy a more "tart" shrimp salad experience!
- Serve in the avocado shells, in martini glasses or ... just in bowls!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.
* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition …